Weather around the river
Weather at Georgetown, Route 213 bridge:
Weather at Betterton:
- NOAA Tidal predictions for Sassafras River, Betterton
- Tide tables for 2012 - Scroll down below the map and be sure to select the month you're interested in.
- Tide Finder Check tide levels and times on the Sassafras River. After following this link, select “Eastern Shore”, then “Sassafras River, Betterton”, and then the dates you would like to view.
- SRA collects water quality data on the tidal and non-tidal portions of the Sassafras River throughout each year. This water quality mapping application shows data for more than 20 testing sites in the watershed, providing a detailed picture of the water chemistry and nutrient pollution in the watershed. Click on any testing site to get data from 2009 to the present.
- Eyes on the Bay Water Quality Data
The state of Maryland has three water quality monitoring stations on the Sassafras River, which track a variety of river health indicators.
View Larger Map
Unsure of what the water quality parameters are? Click here to find out more information on thresholds and definitions.
MD Boat Safety Course
Who Needs a Maryland Boater Education Card?
- Anyone born on or after July 1, 1972, must have a Certificate of Boating Safety Education to operate a boat or personal watercraft (PWC).
- Those under 16 who are operating a motorized boat 11 feet or more and do not have a valid Certificate of Boating Safety Education must be supervised by someone at least 18.
- Those younger than 16 may not operate a PWC, even with a Certificate
All Boaters should be aware of safe boating practices and rules of thumb before hitting the River! DNR Boating Safety
The US Coast Guard Boating Resource Center has an extensive list of boating safety classes.